Welcome to “Ask the Tech Coach,” a podcast for Instructional Coaches and Technology Integration Specialists.
In this episode of “Ask the Tech Coach,” Jeff and Susan welcome several tech coach colleagues from around the country
If you would like to be a part of future podcasts and share your thoughts, please contact the podcast. We would love to have you join the show.
Join the TeacherCast Tech Coaches Network!
- Are you a Tech Coach or looking to become one this year?
- Are you searching for support in your position?
The TeacherCast Tech Coaches Network, is a dynamic Professional Learning Network designed specifically for Tech Coaches and designed to provide weekly support for all Instructional Coaches.
Click Here to Join!Question of the Week
Our favorite part of recording a live podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our live chat, on social media, and in our comments section.
This week’s question is: What is the difference between coaching in elementary vs coaching secondary buildings?
ISTE Podcast “The Edge”
- Brand new ISTE “The Edge Podcast” has launched.
- Listen today on Spotify!
Coaching Elementary vs Coaching Secondary
“Our department is going through a district realignment. Our coaches are being asked to coach at the secondary level. What is the secondary world like? Do I use similar strategy to get into teachers classrooms as I do now?”
- Relationships across the board. Make them comfortable coming to you no matter what grade level.
- Remember Technology integration is the same basic concept. As the coach you are not expected to know the higher-level content; just be an encourager and motivator in teaching them how to integrate technology effectively.
- Similar strategies are definitely effective such as 1:1 coaching, Lunch/learns, etc. Etc.
- I Do-We Do-You Do model can be effective then word spreads to colleagues about the effectiveness of what you as a coach has taught them
- At the high school level, think about meeting with the department heads periodically to get a feel for how things are going and then fill the principal in throughout the year.
Summertime Tips and Tricks for Teachers and Coaches
- Cleaning up / Organizing Digital Files for the end of year
- Digital Self-Care Slides
- Google Takeout
- Know your district’s policy on Intellectual Property
- Cleaning up LMS Class (Google Classroom, Canvas, Schoology, etc.)
- Example End of Year Checklist from Susan
- Gmail Cleanout/setting vacation responder
- Enjoy a guilt free summer by planning your units and current routines and systems with what works and what doesn’t.- DECLUTTER
- Tech Device Collection (SIMPLE form)
- EOY Checklist for Tech/Instructional Coaches
- Planning summer PD opportunities “PD on the Beach”
- Tech for Teachers Summer Toolbox
About our Guests
Jen Thomas is a passionate technology educator who began her career in education as a library media specialist. After twelve years in the school library, she decided to shift her role and is now the Instructional Technology Specialist at Dartmouth High School in Dartmouth, Massachusetts. She is dedicated to empowering teachers and students and has a strong interest in coaching teachers in technology as well as planning and delivering professional development in all aspects of educational technology. Jen is a Level 2 Google Certified Educator, Google Certified Trainer, and facilitates online professional development courses with a number of non-profit educational organizations. She is a member of the Board of Directors for MassCUE (ISTE affiliate) and a co-chair of their Professional Development Committee. She resides in Rhode Island with her husband, Charlie, and their three children, Cooper, Noah, and Caroline.
- Twitter @BlendedLibGirl
Award-winning educator turned podcast host, Barbara Scully from the Connect FCS Ed presents a fresh take on recruitment, and support for today’s modern Home Economics educators in the Family & Consumer Sciences (FCS) classroom. Barbara shares insightful stories, strategies, and resources in a fun, sustainable, and practical way.
Barbara is passionate about integrating technology into the classroom, mentoring and collaborating with worldwide FCS educators and industry professionals bringing career readiness skills and relevancy to the classroom.
Together, we are better at leading the way to student success with FCS!
Links of interest
Contact the Podcast!
Subscribe to “Ask the Tech Coach”
Follow our Podcast on Social Media
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Ask the Tech Coach Podcast | @AsktheTechCoach
Follow our Hosts
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
The Teach Better Podcast Network
The Teach Better Podcast Network is dedicated to supporting the entire school ecosystem through in-depth conversations around topics you care about. Covering a variety of areas in education, each podcast aims to support educators in the field toward creating and maintaining a progressive, student-focused classroom. Check out the recent episodes, subscribe, and learn more about the variety of shows!Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: email@example.com
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes